For the last couple of weekends I’ve been assembling the body of my Missy coat. Here’s what it looks like right now.
It needs a bit of a press, but you get the idea.
The body has gone together well so far, but in working with the crepe fabric I’ve decided that it really would benefit from being lined. So I’ve decided to line the body, but not the sleeves.
You’ll see I’ve also started to put the curve on the bottom hem of the jacket. This was done with those old reliables, a dinner plate and a Sharpie.
I’ve not sewn the front facing to the lining yet, as I need to think through how the collar will work, particularly the order of construction with the braid.
I’ve added braid above and below the pocket openings, mirroring the direction it’s sewn on for each side of the jacket.
The braid I’m using is gimp braid. I already hate it with a burning passion.
You can only sew it in one direction through the machine (with the point of the ‘v’ facing away from you) if you want to avoid it getting snarled up in the machine. And it frays like nothing else. I made the mistake of trimming it back close to the seam allowance after I’d sewn it on and sewn the side seams, only to find it unravelling on the right side. I had to unpick the seams and insert a completely new piece of braid.
The fact that it needs anchoring within seams, and sewn across several times to secure is posing a few problems about how I attach the long stretches of braid along the bottom edge and fronts, and the collar. That’s going to need lots of thought.
Meanwhile, I’m working on the sleeves.