I got an email two days ago saying that there are fifty days to go until the event I plan to wear my costume at. Gulp. Better pick up the pace.
My coat now has sleeves, which is a big piece of progress.
Most of the work was in the cuffs. As well as assembling and braiding them, they had to be attached to the sleeves. Because I’m not lining the jacket, I needed to fasten off the raw edges of the seam joining the cuff to the sleeve somehow. In particular, I can’t rely on the ends of the braid not fraying, unless they’re secured somehow. So I’ve finished off the raw edges with some grosgrain ribbon sewn to the seam allowance and then hemmed to the sleeve. This should hide and protect the raw edges.
The sleeves themselves went into the jacket a treat. I’d been slightly worried about them not fitting, given that they’re from a completely different pattern, but there was no problem at all. I gathered the sleeve heads and they’ve gone in beautifully.